The History of the 67th Field Artillery Regiment
The 67th Field Artillery Regiment (Armored), was activated as a new unit with the 3d Armored Division on April 15 1941 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel H. Crampton Jones. Its artillery cadre of officers and men was furnished from the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Benning, Georgia.Organization of the units and training of instructors progressed during the rainy season while the regiment was housed in tents near the Air Field, seven miles of Camp Beauregard. During the second week of June 1941, the cantonment at Camp Polk, Louisiana, was nearly finished and the 3d Armored Division moved 65 miles into its new barracks. Heavy intermittent rains caused a great deal of erosion in the sandy soil but the Regiment continued its training in spite of many discouragements. During June and July the Division was filled to strength with an excellent type of selecter from the VI, VII and VIII corps Areas and the 13 weeks of mobilization training began.
© 3d Armored Division Memorial Group (3ADMG)