The History of the 32nd Armored Regiment
The 2nd Armored Regiment, forerunner of the 32nd, was activated on April 15, 1941, at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, by a cadre of 85 officers and 565 enlisted men of the 2nd Armored Division’s 66th Armored Regiment and the 1st Armored Division. On May 12, 1941, the unit was redesignated the 32nd Armored Regiment (Light). Its weapons were a very few of the old “Mae West” light tanks. The first commander was Colonel Roderick R. Allen, later commanding general of the 12th Armored Division. Under armored force reorganization early in January, 1942, the old 40th Armored Regiment (Medium) was disbanded and its tanks issued to the 32nd and 33rd Armored Regiments.
© 3d Armored Division Memorial Group (3ADMG)