When you’re searching information about a family member a soldier from an adopted grave or any other point of interested then this information might help.

1: During the years we collected a nice collection of all kind of information about the 3rd Armored Division. We don’t have always an answer but you can always ask by email. You can contact us by the contact form on the website or by email at

2: The book Finding Your Father’s War by Jonathan Gawne provides as the cover says, “A Practical Guide to Researching and Understanding Service in the World War II US Army”.

3: If you only have a name and you know where the veteran lived then contact the local county courthouse. It is always possible that he/she left some copies of papers behind.

4: Visit the website of familysearch: and hopefully you get more info and can continue with your research.

5: You can get an enlistment record by using this website:

6: For all kind of World War 2 information you can use the website’s and you need to pay to become a member to get information.

7: For graveside locations you can use

8: The 3rd Armored Division Association archives can be found online with a possibility to contact an archivist. You can find the website by using the URL: 

9. Use the website from the The American Battle Monuments Commission for information about soldiers who died overseas. This is the URL:

10: Requesting Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPF).
If you want to learn more about a soldier that was KIA or went MIA, you can request the IDPF. This is the Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). The IDPF will almost always establish his unit and give information on his burial. In many cases, it will also give valuable information about where and when he died, possibly including reports of the action in which he died. For men whose remains were never recovered or identified, extremely valuable records of the testimonies of his buddies are usually included, giving extraordinary information about the action, what happened to him, and when they last saw him.
You can get the IDpdf on paper or a digital version by sending a letter to:
National Archives – St. Louis
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Note: They have A-L available now and M-Z is in the process of being organized in St. Louis.

And you can email at:
You don’t need to pay for the Idpdf but it can take several months to a year to get them.

11: When you want to have replacements for lost medals then use this information:

Where to write for medals:
National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138 or

Where medals are mailed from:
Clothing and Heraldry (PSID)
P.O. Box 57997
Philadelphia, PA 19111-7997

Where to write in case of a problem or an appeal:
U.S. Army Human Resources Command
Soldier Program and Services Division – Awards and Decorations Branch
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Dept 480
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408

12: Military Personnel Records

The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) is the repository of millions of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century. NPRC (MPR) also stores medical treatment records of retirees from all services, as well as records for dependent and other persons treated at naval medical facilities. Information from the records is made available upon written request (with signature and date) to the extent allowed by law.
This site is provided for those seeking information regarding military personnel, health and medical records stored at NPRC (MPR).
Check the website for more information:
Use the search option when you have a certain point of interest.

13: Private research firm or individual.

It is possible to hire a researcher on the spot who can help you with all kind of information.
In the past we have worked with Footsteps Researchers and they give a lot of service and deliver good quality.

Footsteps Researchers – Their team specializes in presenting your veteran’s information in the format most meaningful to you—in writing, in maps, in video-documentary, and in tours.
It is possible to go to the archives yourself, then have a look on the website for their address.